Micro Abrasive-Waterjet Technology
Waterjet technology has come a long way since its commercialization in the late 1970’s. It has evolved from merely a rough cutting tool to a precision machine tool, competing on equal footing with established tools such as lasers, mechanical milling and routing tools,EDM, ultrasonics, photochemical etching, and various CNC tools.
The versatile waterjet technology inherently has advantages unmatched by most machine tools. Below is a short list of these advantages.
- Cuts virtually any material, thin and thick
- Fast setup and programming – modern systems are now easy to learn
- Simple fixturing is required – negligible reactionary forces on parts
- Almost no heat generation during cutting – no heat-affected zone (HAZ) on parts
- No residual mechanical stresses
- Safe operations
- No start hole required – one single tool for multi-mode machining
- Narrow kerf – removal of only a small amount of material
- Cost-effective and fast turnaround for both small and large lots
- Environmentally friendly – no hazardous waste byproducts